Terms and Conditions for Using Ourdocuments.gov
Ourdocuments.gov is maintained by the National Archives and Records Administration (NARA). Policies governing this web site are determined by NARA. Questions about ourdocuments.gov policy should be directed to NARA’s Web Program Manager at either firstname.lastname@example.org or the Policy and Communications Staff, NARA, 8601 Adelphi Road, College Park, MD 20740.
Thank you for visiting Ourdocuments.gov.
- The National Archives and Records Administration is concerned about protecting children's privacy. We do not collect personally identifiable information from children.
- We do not use computer files (sometimes called "cookies") or any other method to record what you specifically do or where you go on our web site, nor do we use any method to monitor what you've done in the past on our web site. We use "session" cookies, however, to show you which documents you saw during that single visit. The cookie file leaves your machine as soon as you close your browser. It does not tell us anything about you; it does not remain on your computer.
- We analyze use of our web site only using aggregated data to understand trends of use among all visitors so we can improve our web site.
- We save data, such as your computer's IP address, logged by our web servers as part of their standard Internet operating functions, for two years and then destroy this data.
- If you provide us information about yourself via email or a web form, your information will be used only for the purposes described at the point of collection, such as to send information or products to you, or to respond to your questions or comments. If you provide contact information, NARA staff or its contractors may contact you to clarify your comment or question, or to learn about your level of customer satisfaction with our services.
- We do not sell any personal information to third parties.
- We may transfer personal information to legal authorities if we suspect that you are attempting to change or otherwise damage this web site, or you are using it in violation of Federal or local laws; or, to Congress or a court in response to a subpoena.
- Although questions, comments, and other communications that we receive generally are not retained as permanent records, please note that it is possible that any mail — electronic or paper — that we or any other Federal agency receive could become part of the permanent record of the agency, if the mail is part of materials that are scheduled for permanent retention.
Disclaimer of Endorsement
- Reference to specific commercial businesses, products, processes, or services by trade name, trademark, manufacturer, or otherwise, on any web site administered by NARA does not constitute or imply its endorsement, recommendation, or favoring by the United States Government or by NARA. Recognition of commercial businesses, institutions, and organizations mentioned on any web site administered by NARA that relate, for example, to our development initiatives and partnerships does not imply endorsement by the Government.
- We provide links from our web pages to external web sites because they provide information that may interest our customers. This is provided as a convenience only. External links do not constitute an endorsement by the Government of the opinions, products, or services presented on the external site, or of any sites linked to it. NARA is not responsible for the legality or accuracy of information on externally linked sites, or for any costs incurred while using externally linked sites.
Copyright, Restrictions, and Permissions Notice
- Generally, materials produced by Federal agencies are in the public domain and may be reproduced without permission. However, not all materials appearing on this web site are in the public domain. Some materials have been donated or obtained from individuals or organizations and may be subject to restrictions on use, where cited. Please note that because we cannot guaranty the status of specific items, you use materials found in our holdings at your own risk.
- Images on our web site which are in the public domain may be used without permission. If you use images from NARA’s holdings, we ask that you credit NARA as the source. Please note that some images on our site have been obtained from other organizations. Permission to use these images should be obtained directly from those organizations.
- Certain individuals depicted may claim rights in their likenesses and images. Use of photographs or other materials found on Ourdocuments.gov may be subject to these claims. Anyone who intends to use these materials commercially should contact the individuals depicted or their representatives.
- The copyright law of the United States (Title 17, United States Code) governs the making of photocopies or other reproductions of copyrighted material. This law provides that under certain conditions libraries and archives are authorized to furnish a photocopy or other reproduction of materials. One of these specific conditions is that the photocopy or reproduction is not to be "used for any purpose other than private study, scholarship, or research." If you use a photocopy or reproduction for purposes in excess of "fair use," you may be liable for copyright infringement.
We believe that all files that we develop and/or post on our web servers are virus-free. When you request a file for download from our site, it is possible, though unlikely, that the data may contract a virus and become corrupted before it reaches your computer. The National Archives and Records Administration is not responsible for files that may become corrupted as the data travels the Internet.